Our National Practice
The CDPP is a national prosecution service. We practice in each State and Territory of Australia. The CDPP has offices in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide, Canberra Hobart and Darwin. There are sub-offices of the Brisbane Office in Townsville and Cairns, which perform prosecutions in central and north Queensland.
On 2 June 2014, the CDPP implemented a new operating model consisting of nationally organised and run practice groups. The objective of the new operating model is to provide a more effective, efficient and nationally consistent federal prosecution service.
The Practice Groups are based on compatible crime types. They are:
1. Commercial, Financial & Corruption
2. Revenue & Benefits Fraud
3. International Assistance & Specialist Agencies
4. Organised Crime & Counter Terrorism
5. Illegal Imports & Exports
6. Human Exploitation & Border Protection
Each Practice Group is led by a Deputy Director who has responsibility for:
• the prosecutions conducted by that Practice Group across Australia;
• national liaison in relation to the Practice Group;
• policy development for issues that concern the Practice Group; and
• the CDPP’s contribution to law reform in relation to the crime types included in the Practice Group.
The Executive Leadership Group (ELG) is the key advisory group to the Director. The ELG comprises the Deputy Directors who provide advice on prosecutions, policy development and law reform and the Chief Corporate Officer who advises on corporate management.